Monday, July 14, 2008

Official!

This morning started early for the erratic sleeping Everetts. I (Teri) woke up at 2:47 am and had all sorts of questions I wanted to talk with Mark about. He, being the loving husband that he is, kindly lent an ear and even had his eyes open! I am nervous, lonely for my family, homesick for food that I like and am not worried about getting sick over! The language barrier is definitely there - but we have figured out toilet, hungry, yes, no, wait and I love you. Facial expressions and body language is actually quite effective. Her back is very misshaped, but we will trust that God will provide. We talked for three hours and then I went to the hotel gym at 5:30 being careful to return before she woke up. Mark happily returned to sleep.

Amy is quiet but NOT shy - willful but willing to please if the boundary is clear. She is opinionated did NOT like the shoes I picked out for her at the shoe store - she knew exactly which ones she wanted. (Lucy - we may not be shopping for her but with her) We bought a small back pack for her and she is very excited about it - packing full of things like mama's bag - in fact she removed my calculator - her favorite toy, and put in hers, along with fruit snacks, water bottle, crayons, magnadoodle and a notebook. She ate a huge breakfast again - chose the following at the buffet: leek cakes, boiled dumplings, sauteed noodles with vegetables, pickled eggs and a french pastry - she ate it ALL! Today she likes me better - not wanting to let go of my hand at all - Mark is jealous - but I am sure it is because I sang to her and read to her for a long time last night -

Oh yes - the bed - Mark thinks they forgot to put the mattress on the boxspring! At a 5 star hotel no less! A whole new meaning to firm...

Anyway, we went back to the provincial office, paid some money, fingerprinted all of us, signed a bunch of papers and as far as China is concerned, she is legally ours!!!! She really does feel like she was meant for us and is amazingly happy with us - just wait till she sees what the chore list is like for an Everett kid.

Please keep sending comments - it is my lifeline - I really am very homesick - I love you all and love our home!
Teri

10 comments:

Rich said...

Hey lady what a great last few days this has been, And to have it all right here for everybody to take part of. I think Dana and I must of read your last post 4 times this evening just sitting around and thinking about when we can come and visit. Well have fun and give Amy a big HUG from us.

Kelli said...

Hi Mommy and Dad, Amy
Well that is good that she has an opinion...hehe.Today we had a lot of fun....we swam,I learned how to play the tuba(it is relly hard!!)and the boys went on a mountian bike ride!! We miss you sooooo much!!!!! Today Katie and I were playing 300 wishes and I wished that you guys were coming home today!! ok....Love all of you!!!
Lu

Dear Mom, Dad, and Amy--

Hi! I miss you and love you. Today we swam, went to the candy store, and went on a mountain bike ride. The squid in that photo looks disgusting! What kind of shoes did Amy pick out? Did she get those squeaky shoes?

Love, Jack

Dear Mom Dad and Amy

I miss you a lot and wis you were home. Today I got to play the baritone it was raelly fun I also ply a little on the drum set. I went on a moutain bike ride and swimming. It's fun seeing Amy playing with the calculator. I miss you lots and love you too!

Matthew

Hey Mark and Teri,
We are sooo loving reading and seeing the pictures! We can hardly stand waiting to greet you all and be with you again. We are praying for you and thinking of you all the time. We're all getting along well and having fun together.

If you can---e-mail at sonneland@air-pipe.com

Thanks and lots of love and hugs to you all!

Krisi

HewaFam said...

Mark & Teri,

Congratulations on sweet Amy! What a gift. Krisi sent me your blog address, so I've been checking in on you. Know that we are excited for your family & this next stage of your journey. You are in our thoughts & prayers.

Love,
Elizabeth & Joe

Unknown said...

Teri..we are loving your BLOG..can just picture you three in the market, shoe store, etc...Dad says think of this as a special time to bond with Amy and NOT take care of animals, house, homeschool lesson plans..etc, etc.etc...it WILL go by quickly. Are you talking with any other families in the hotel? I think squid is an acquired taste..we liked it dried in Japan. our sympathy to Mark's back with the hard bed. Precious pictures of you three..we are loving her already and can't wait to see you all..will have fun with Everett kids this weekend:) love and prayers to you dear ones..MOM
isn't it cool that at least you can "chat" with your kids online?

Joan said...

Amy looks as sweet as we remember her last September! I bet she loves you singing to her--she sang us a song while we were at the orphanage which was beyond cute.
Try to embrace your time in China, even the difficult parts, because it will all make up an amazing memory for you all. You will probably enjoy being in Guangzhou more than Wuhan. Even I, who loved all 3 of my adoption trips, to China and Haiti, and love to travel in general, was ready to leave Wuhan after a week (I was kinda disappointed in myself, but that's the honest truth!) In Guangzhou there will be lots of other Americans to talk to, you can get American food if you need it, etc. Totally different atmosphere.

Dimmels6 said...

The entire family is hanging on your every experience. Being we just returned from China, it's fun walking through the adventure all over again with you. In Beijing, our guide asked the front desk for a "quilt" to be added to our bed for extra comfort. It was a common request and made a big difference - have David talk to the desk for you. Adalei, Grandma, and I favored the chicken wraps at Lucy's. The spaghetti, grilled cheese, and stir-fried vegetables were pretty good too. The Haagen Daaz bars are in the shop right next to the hotel - Ha! Teri, don't forget to write down your "Gotcha Day" experience too. You're both amazing writers and are giving Amy such a neat memory of such an important event in her life. Keep blogging - you were my lifeline this morning. Love you three!

Tricia Anastasio said...

I love reading about your daily adventures and I am so touched by how much the kids miss you. It must be so hard to be away from them but you will be back together soon and on your way to alot of new memories! I am going to miss this blog after you get back. Do you think you can keep it up so that I can hear Everett family details daily? Tell Mark he is missing the MLB All Star Game tonight here in NYC. So many people here to see the game and attend all of the festivities like Home Run Derby last night. Huge Parade for all of the all stars and Hall of Famers this afternoon. Maybe he can catch some highlights on TV tonight. Sounds like you need ot catch up on some sleep so he can buy a Sports Illistrated when he gets back and catch up! have a great day!

Unknown said...

Hey Teri and Mark. Every morning I race down to the computer to get the latest on how it's going there. I can imagine your heads are spinning with so much happening, so much to soak in at once! Amy sounds like such a sweet girl and I can't wait to meet her! You did take my picture to show her right! I am praying for you right now that God will give you exactly what you need in this day (or night? not sure what day/time it is there)with so much happening. I can imagine how far away you feel in a foreign culture with so much happening. I am amazed at this whole process and can't wait to talk to you as I have a thousand questions. Mark, Kim was on your blog at work yesterday and many in the office read and saw the pictures, Dr. Guzek included. Everyone was really excited for all three of you! Ok as usual I am late getting out the door and PCLI calls my name. Love to you all!!

Kristine

Cheryl said...

Dear Amy, I know you can't read this or understand it yet, but God has greatly blessed you with a wonderful sister and two awesome brothers! He has also blessed you with the best parents a child could have! I can't wait to meet you and kiss your precious cheek. Lots of love from Cheryl and the Schmitt/Bytyqi families.
PS - Hi Mark and Teri!!!! WOW!!!

Judy Palpant said...

Hi Mark and Teri,

We just returned from camping in Montana and just read your blog. How exciting. Amy looks very much at home with you two and we are thrilled to hear that all is going so well. Be assured of our love and prayers.

Judy and Sam