Saturday, July 19, 2008

We'll go the 11:00 service...

Well it's 12:50 pm on Sunday here and we just returned from church - yes, in China - a government sanctioned Protestant church called Christ church! The service started at 11:00 - we were told to get there at least at 10:45 so we could get a seat inside! This was the third service today and sure enough it was packed and they broadcasted the service outside for those who could not fit. We prayed, read scripture, (John 4:23) and the sang 4 songs - 2 in Chinese and 2 in English - How Beautiful, and I Will Give Thanks To Thee. It was very moving and everyone sang so loud the piano could not be heard at all. Then the sermon was preached in Chinese and translated after every sentence by a woman standing right next to the pastor. The theme of the sermon was: We go to church to worship and for no other reason - not for the music, the atmosphere, the fellowship, the people - and we do not select a service based on style of worship! Wow - that could have been something right from an American Christian pulpit - no?
Then a testimony - that was incredible but we finally had to leave after 1 and 1/2 hours even though it was still going on. My friend Julie and I were both moved to tears by the whole body of Christ and how amazing it was to be worshipping with believers across the world!

After church - we went to 7-11 to get a snack for our little ones and Amy debated between spicy cuttlefish and tomato flavored seaweed! Meanwhile I bought a bag of Lays potato chips - typical American. Although - they may be a thing of the past when we return as I am reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver - excellent book - Thanks Dani - although I am not sure my kids will receive it quite as well as I! Tee Hee

Okay last comment - where the heck are all of you!!!!!! We got no comments on our last blog - I know its the weekend and all - and some of you are camping, or pony showing - but did everyone drop off the face of the Earth? Mark did the last blog and is having a bit of a complex - anyway - love to all - 4 more days!
Teri

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey...I DID write on Mark's blog...but must have fallen into outerspace?? not sure why it did not get to you?? I will try to remember what I said..I am sure your 5 *** filly will love your home...because it has more than 5 ****s of love in it!!! and even tho it will be grapenuts/oatmeal for breakfast...she will know she is so loved!!...that is one thing I said..anyway..HOW COOL to talk with you LIVE, Teri, Amy and hear Mark in background!!! WOW church sounds awesome..even for govt. controlled stuff. the LOVE of GOD will not be stopped...NO POWER can come against it..Praise GOD..love to you all..it was sooo touching to hear Amy's little voice on the phone..it is a memory I shall treasure forever!! God bless ya..mom

Unknown said...

Hi Mark, Teri and Amy,
We have been praying for you and thinking about you a lot. This blog thing is really cool. Amy is so cute. I love the photo of her playing ping pong and with bubbles. Your entries are very good. Mark, I love your discription of the cooking! What a great experience to go to church there. Wow! That's singing! We had a good service at Whitworth today and missed you there. It will be fun to see your whole family together at church. It was so funny when you talked about being early to the meeting at the orphanage. Maybe it's time to turn over a new leaf.... for us, too.. we were actually early to church today!

The 7 chickens are doing well. We are trying to give some eggs away. I thought about making an angelfood cake! I'll save you some for your return! (eggs and cake?...or pie!! lots of cherries. We picked 3 tupperwares full yesterday and Georgia let us use her pitter. There should still be some when you get back if you feel like picking although you will have a lot to do to get Amy settled. We put some in the freezer for you and plan to pick again.

God is good!
Steph

Unknown said...

ranHi Mommy, Daddy, and Amy
I miss you sooooooo much!!!! I just got back from camping and had a blast whish you coul dhave been there!!!! We went kayaking by moonlight, creek-wadding(Igot into a plant that did not agree with my skin so my hand swelled up:()
and tons of other fun stuff! TOday I am just hanging out with grandma and Matt and Grandpa! I heard you called yesterday......can you call again??
Love you all
Lulu

lbrandkamp said...

Dear Mark, Teri, Everett, I continue to look forward to hearing about your daily adventures. Like so many others, I enjoy reading about how Amy is adjusting so wonderfully--so amazing, and often laugh out loud at your descriptions of events, etc. Had to really giggle at Mark's latest description of fried everything, including fried soup! Anyway, it's incredible how huge a difference one day in July can make in the life of a little girl from China and a family of five from Spokane. I am so thrilled for you all and can't wait to hear more about how you bond into a new family at home. Praying for you and can't wait to meet Amy. Lynne

Unknown said...

Hey Teri, Mark & Amy..so glad you got to talk with two of your kids again today:)..Lucy looks great/ Matt was such a big help with Betsy, Andrew and Adam. .keeping her in tow at the concert last nite! Jack was his usual amusing self here at our house!! READ Tajar..that is such a tradition around here..Betsy got the privilege of holding him.
You have such grand kids (no pun intended)!! You are missing really HOT days here..altho not such humidity as China. Grampa is so excited also for meeting Amy..he bragged about her to Ginny and Harry at RedRobin..it was really very touching for me!! love and prayers continue for you!! MOM

Dimmels6 said...

Cute, spunky, creative, animated - a true Everett already, Amy. As we all read of Amy's choices during meal time, we can't help but hold our stomachs remembering the look, smell, and taste of those "delicacies". Good thing her forever family raises chickens and can FRY her up some good-ole chicken feet for special occasions at least. We're so excited for you to have met up with old friends to enjoy this experience with. Church in China is so meaningful - they truly see it as a privelege and will stand outside in the heat the entire time just for the chance to worship. Susie (at the shop named Susie's) is a Christian and is excited to meet others if you get a chance to visit with her. We feel so spoiled to have your fun photos to view - thank you. Love, Jean and family

John said...

You master Jack arrived safely to our house on Sunday. He, Pete,Bryant Carazo and Mateo were in full "boy" mode as the Carazo's and Lulu joined us for liunch and a swim. Safe Travels

McIlraiths said...

Hi Friends!
Welcome Amy! We can't wait to meet her!
The McIlraiths

McIlraiths said...

Hi! We can't wait to welcome Amy into our church family. We are praying for all you.
Love,
The McIlraiths

Tricia Anastasio said...

Hi Teri and Mark! This has really been an adventure that I am sure is going to stay with you for the rest of your lives. I am so excited for you to get home to your family so everyone can meet Amy but sad for myself becasue I feel like I am getting to share your experiences through your words and photos and I am going to miss the blog! I love hearing about Amy especially because Nicholas has been away for the last two weeks at baseball camp with another two to go and I am missing him terribly. Enjoy the next few days and have a safe trip back! Love Tricia

Deanna said...

This is my first time on your blog (sorry) and I have been busy reading and trying to catch up on all your adventures. I love the pictures and Amy has stolen my heart, too. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time overall and have been able to communicate OK with Amy. She is very lucky to have been adopted by the Everetts! Enjoy your remaining time and have a safe journey back. I can't wait to see you and Amy!! Love, Deanna

Unknown said...

Hey you guys. We were camping all weekend then had to work at the crack of dawn today..sounds like the adventures continue! I was laughing at Amy's choice of snack..I think the cuttle fish sound amazing! Can't wait to see you all soon, it feels like you have been gone for years.