Monday, July 21, 2008

Typical 6 and Miscellaneous

Mark Writing, Tuesday Noon, Monday evening Spokane:



Amy is becoming more comfortable with us which means a greater ability to express affection, pleasure and displeasure. This was the case yesterday when the time came for either her to win or me to win. It was a "yes I love you, and no you can't have your own way" moment or should I say hour and a half!. She knew what she had to do and did not want to do it. Both of us expressed our will and daddy won. When it was all over, it was over and today is a new day and things are fine. I do think it was an important event. I am glad it happened here without the distraction of home and other kids. For me it was an expected and important event. I do feel that Amy was the princess of the orphanage from what we saw and heard at the orphanage.



We've had some interesting times with our wonderful and wise guide David. Discussions have included the cultural revolution in China, the great famines during the Mao era, minimum wage, health care, Mao's wife who was a real tyrant and lots of other stuff. We have been the only group here and we have had him all to ourselves.


Teri writing now - Mark is tired
Amy is enjoying the pool, a puzzle of China, bacon, french toast, orange juice and has a Matthew like aversion to most things fruit-like. Except for the Litche fruit which apparent is slightly toxic. She loves her "adoption "Barbie doll which is gift to all adoptive families from the White Swan Hotel- a very classic blonde Barbie with a Chinese baby in her arms - Mark says I am not quite living up to the standard. She will fit in with those of you who like to window shop and has a broad appetite for most any goods. Mark's favorite clothing store is the "Mexican" shop. It sells casual sportswear typical of polo or the like. The names for stores are to funny to the westerner.



We went on a dinner cruise on the Pearl river and sat in the VIP Dining Room. we were entertained by a tenor sax and violin player. The Pearl is beautiful at night with the shore line and trees a lit up with colorful lights and there is a light show with music accompaniment. We had a bottle of wine and it was a great end to a very hard day, frankly. Amy had three tough temper tantrums and decided yesterday morning, after her first one that was precipitated by a language breakdown with me, that Mark is her favorite. Our guide even tried to intervene and help understand what she wanted but at that point she was beyond rationalizing with or even consoling - Our guide said she just was mad. Fortunately, Mark handled the long second one to try and let her know I wasn't the bad guy - I was grateful - but it didn't change much. She is fine with me know but has pegged me as the caretaker, teacher, reader and dad is the fun playmate and "carry me whenever I want" guy. (Not too different from the perception of young biological children - yes?) Its and injustice I tell you, but I am sure when we get home things will settle in just fine. Anyway - While we still miss our kids terribly, it is definitely good for us to be able to work through some of this with her on our own .

Today we walked to the local open market - whewy - that was an experience!!!!! The pictures will tell all.

we miss you all
Teri

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Dearest Mark, Teri..GOD is so good to let this "event" with Amy happen while you YES...had no other kids to deal with, still had an interpreter and it sounds like BOTH you, Mark, and Teri were part of it...Amy may have come off her princess pedastal a little, but that it happened over THERE..also in time may seem good...and even with language, culture, etc...kids still need to know WHO IS IN CHARGE!?!? right?? well done...dear ones..we shall KEEP praying for you to have Godly wisdom, guidance, patience and whatever else the LORD knows you need...HIS best is always better than our good..huh?...okay..enuf..Jewish Mother talk..sorry...guess my gramma juices are flowing..I do love you both so much and Amy too and pray that your final days (what a neat boat cruise) will bring good memories...sooo looking forward to Thursday..love ya..MOM

Rich said...

I am starting to get this feeling that we are food sissies in the US.

Krisi said...

Dear mark and Teri,

We are soo glad to hear more and see the fun pictures--I'm praying for you all and hope that travel home goes smoothly. I can't wait to see you in Seattle!

Love you

Krisi

lbrandkamp said...

Well...it was inevitable. I'd almost forgotten what it was like to have to deal with the younger child tantrums. (However, it all came rushing back to my memory.) Blessings to you both as you walk through these experiences again. And, blessings to Amy as she learns she is loved even when she does not get her way or is not understood perfectly. Sounds like you're on your way home soon and will be coming into Seattle. I will be praying for you all. How thrilling a home coming this will be for all your children! Love, Lynne

Jeff said...

What blessing and joy comes in hearing of your adventure. I look forward to reading of and hearing more of this new chapter in the Everett family journey.

Kristine was correct. Clinic was a bit hectic, but I don't think I created too many problems for you to fix.

Seize the day and the joy there in.

Your Friend

Jeff

Dimmels6 said...

How wonderful that everyone is getting "real" with one another. Stu and I noticed that things got smoother around the Dimmel home when we stopped treating Elouise like an orphan and started treating her like our child. You are both so wise in knowing how fast or slow the process will take for Amy - quite a culture shock for her. We can't wait to meet your beautiful daughter. Jean and family

Unknown said...

Love the pictures..was thinking of some scorpion tacos tonight myself but decided on chicken noodle soup...I know you miss my humor! I love hearing your stories and can only imagine all that you are experiencing every day. I was so amazed at you seeing your friends from Maryland there... that is crazy! God has certainly had His hand on every detail, hasn't He? I can't wait to see you all and meet Amy. I hope the trip home goes smoothly and Mark...keep the important things like keys, wallet, tickets, etc. close! Love to you all!! See you in two days.

Kristine

Unknown said...

We love the photos! Rolf wants to know how much the tiger paw costs... No, we don't want you to get one for us. I have no recipes for tiger paw! What do they make with a tiger paws anyway?

We look forward to seeing you in a few days.

The Veenstras

Cheryl said...

Hey, that does sound pretty typical.... Dad is the fun one and Mom not so much. Ha, I'm sure that will even out. You guys are doing great over there and I love all the stories. Maybe you should keep this blog going for a year or two!! Love you, Cheryl